There can be several reasons why you want to have a blog of your own. It can be for your family and friends, or you might want to reach out to the world with your ideas. If you have no experience, let me help you know how to make a blog – does not matter if plan big or small, you had better consider some thoughts before you start.
If you have been trying to find an online job for a while, then you must have bumped into several articles which suggest that you should start writing and creating a blog or homepage. More or less this is the only work from home opportunity from which you can really earn money – and not just pennies for long hours. You will never have to go into a company’s office, and you can also make money from it if you are a bit inactive for a little while.
Starting your online career you need to have your own website in the first place. Here I am going to show you how you can create your very own site for free which meets some very important criteria. These features are the very basics you need for a site that works well:
- How quick your site is and how long it takes to load its elements
- How professional it looks like
- Navigation: how easy it is to find the articles, and the structure of the menu is easy to understand
- CMS (Content Management System): to make it simple it means that you will not have to make all the updates you manually, but it happens automatically
- Quality content: for example do not copy posts from other sites because that is punished by all the search engines with bad or no ranking
In this post I have already explained how you can take part in an affiliate program. Below I am going to show you the 2. step from there in details.
1. Choosing a Niche
First, figure out what you want your website to be about. You might have thousands of ideas, or nothing at all or have some thoughts but not really clear. It all does not matter, as you go further in your training it will be more and more clear even it does not seem like that now.
I have already given some ideas here in the first step.
2. Domain name
The domain is the name of your site ( in most cases), the one that you type in to get to your site.
According to endings, we can differentiate two big groups:
- International main domains (ending with .com /.org /.net)
- National domains (ending for example with .hu /.sk /.at)
You are strongly recommended choosing one of the main domains, if possible the .com, as Google ranks these better. If you do not write your site in English, then you can obviously choose a domain ending that matches your site’s language (e.g. if you write your site in Hungarian targeting Hungarians, you can choose a .hu ending).
- most preferred ending in search engines
- most known in the world
- much more accepted than for instance a .eu or any other ending
- easiest to purchase
- if you do not write your site in English and you are looking for a name for your site in your language, you will find quite many options (usually more) than with your national ending (e.g. .hu / .de)
- e.g.: .de /.at /.hu /.sk / .au
- search engines only prefer them in the areas where they belong (except if the search is in that language as well)
- most known in the given country
- many times they can be bought for at least 2 years, paid in advance – check your local regulations
- most good domains are already reserved if the target the language of the domain name and ending matches
- in many cases more difficult to purchase
Free or not?
Free domain names are only available if you do not own your entire domain name. For example somebody.siterubix.com. Most website owners provide this option so that they can place advertisements on your page instead of your payment. The only way to remove these ads from your site if you pay their fee.
The reason why I mentioned the siterubix.com domain name in the first place is, that they are most probably the only company who let you make your website for free on their platform in WordPress without putting advertisements all around your page.
You can create your free SiteRubix website here:
If you are willing to pay for your site, which you can buy from about $2/month then the siterubix part will not be in the name and the entire name will be of your choice.
At the beginning, I think it is enough if you start with a free quality free version and if you are satisfied, you can pay for your own domain where you can transfer your whole site.
3. Domain registration and hosting
You can decide if you simply want storage or hosting as well. For me, it was obvious that I wanted to focus on my content and not on all the techie things so at my hosting I really do not have to care about anything else but my work.
When you simply choose a storage option it means that you can store there your pictures, videos that your site needs – there is always a limit (e.g. 10GB/30GB). The more the better.
If you do not only want a blog to share with your family and friends but you also want to earn with it, a good hosting (if you are not a pro in it) is essential.
In this post you can read a very thorough comparison about hosting services including prices (e.g. GoDaddy hosting) after free registration.
4. Creating your website in WordPress
The most used and user-friendly platform both for beginners and advanced users is WordPress. There are ready to use templates that you can customize according to your needs up to a certain level, there are themes that have paid versions where you can customize more features. Finally, if you are familiar with designing websites, then you can also download it and create your unique theme.
Before you purchase a domain name and hosting service, think what your purpose is with your site. If you want to earn money with it and this is not only to share your thought with your family and friends, and you want to focus on your content, instead of learning a new profession, it worth purchasing a quality hosting that you can rely on without being afraid of losing everything because of hacking or getting pissed off of all the scam comments you would get. Just to mention some.
I can highly recommend my hosting, as I have never had my site down, hacking or spam and always had 24/7 support available.